His Word in Our Hearts

God's been working on me about something for the last couple weeks.  I'm wondering if you can relate.


About ten years ago, we had just moved to a new community and were visiting churches, looking for a new church home.  I walked into the four-year-old class to pick up our son when I looked across the room to see him standing in the midst of some kind of dispute; I supposed it was over some toy.  I arrived just in time to hear him say to the other children, "Don't you know what the Bible says?  'Do everything without complaining or arguing!'"  Seriously, that's what he said.  I knew exactly where that came from, and, if any of you have had the pleasure of listening to or watching the Steve Green Hide 'Em in Your Heart Bible Memory songs on CD or DVD, you know, too.


Over the years, our family has certainly reaped blessings from memorizing Scripture, yet I am both firmly convinced and convicted that we still don't do it enough.  God tells us we should know His Word, and I'm sure He knows far more about the benefits for us than we've ever comprehended.  Looking back in our family, one result is that, even at a very early age, our children had an internal guide to godly behavior, based on memorized Scripture, even before they more fully understood the theological reasons.  Did it guide their behavior all the time?  No.  Of course, our children weren't perfect, but Scripture was being laid down as the authority and a foundation worthy of building a life upon.  Filling up their little heads and hearts with Biblical truth is the kind of start Deuteronomy 6 is talking about.


The words and the images we take in do leave permanent impressions.  They shape the way we will think and act for the rest of our lives.  From a human perspective, Scripture has an impact at least equal to anything else we internalize.  Far beyond that, it is the supernatural Word of God and has God's power behind it to transform lives.  It's one thing to read it, but it gets woven so much more deeply into the very fiber of who we are when we commit it to memory.  So, why do we memorize so little of God's Word, especially as adults?  Why is it that children have 'memory verse' assignments, but adults rarely do?  We can use busyness as an excuse, or the handy aging brain/declining memory line, but I seriously doubt God is buying it.


Recently I learned that someone we know has just finished memorizing the entire book of Romans.  Yes, the entire book.  I was absolutely flabbergasted.  Then I was sorely convicted.  I memorized the book of James once, but that was more than twenty years ago.  The more I thought about it, the more I, then, became inspired to seek Him even more earnestly through His Word, renewing my devotion to committing much more of it to memory.


But what if memorizing doesn't come as easily as we'd like, or as easily as it used to?  We are told by Jesus that if we pray according to His will, that we will have what we ask.  So how about praying for God's enabling to memorize His Word?  That's clearly His will.


When Vera, our adopted daughter, first came from the orphanage, she had trouble memorizing anything.  She confessed to us that, when she was at the orphanage school, she would feign illness and escape to the infirmary rather than attempt to give a presentation before her class of something she was to have memorized.  Maybe she just wasn't capable of memorizing anything?  One could make lots of excuses for an orphan who'd been the victim of less than optimal brain stimulating opportunities.


Instead, we decided to believe God.  Even though she had a terrible time memorizing anything in the past, we prayed for her to be able to memorize Bible verses.  We should not have been surprised at the result.  Yes, she can memorize Scripture, and lots of other things, too, now.


I'm not content with the way things have been.  Are you?  Will you believe God with me?  Let's ask Him to enable us to hide more of His Word in our hearts!


Next time, Lord willing...I'll pass along the song that I recently wrote to help our family memorize Psalm 63:1-8.



P.S.  If you're not familiar with the Bible memory songs I mentioned, you might want to check them out.  The blessing of the Hide 'Em in Your Heart series is that the songs were so easy to learn permanently and still remain favorites, musically, even for the adults in our house.  The added benefit to the videos is that they plant visual images of God's Word being lived out and applied that beautifully complement the flesh and blood examples we are trying to live before our children's eyes and ears.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! Memorizing Scripture helps me in my Christian life as much as any other discipline. A friend and I committed to encouraging each other every week or 2 with the Scripture we're learning, and it helps us stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, We have been really blessed by memorizing Scripture together over the years. As a homeschooling Mother, I would call us all together at the dinner table and we would read aloud all together from our own NKJV. We memorized James, and some other key chapters in the old and new Testaments. We still ring out with it sometimes and all chime in together. Very wonderful memories...literally! We must keep memorizing, I agree!

    ReplyDelete