A Very Short Song

I was reading in Jeremiah.  God is explaining that His promises to His people can't be broken.  He calls creation to witness to His dependability and faithfulness, and points out the daily rise and set of the sun.  The things we count on being constant every moment, the things we depend upon every day, the things we never even question, are actually fully sustained by His power.  All the things we depend upon for our very existence are totally out of our control, but they are totally in His control.

"Thus says the LORD, who gives the sun for light by day, and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; the Lord of hosts is His name:
'If this fixed order departs from before me,' declares the LORD, 'then the offspring of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before Me forever.'"  Jeremiah 31:35-36

And from Jeremiah 33:20-21, "Thus says the LORD, 'If you can break My covenant for the day, and my covenant for the night, so that day and night will not be at their appointed time, then My covenant may also be broken with David my servant that he shall not have a son to reign on his throne. . .'"

We could no more stop His promises than we could keep the sun from rising!

And that's when the very short song came to me.

I wondered at what could be the use of such a very short song.  That is until I remembered how, when I was a girl, we used to have one of those very short songs at the start of our worship service each Sunday.  Do you know what we called it?  A 'Call to Worship'.

And here my heart smiled, and I had to say aloud, "Of course--how very appropriate a name!"

Here are the words.

Did the sun set last night?
Did it rise this morning from its place?
Okay, then, His promises stand.
I rest my case.

Dear friends, the next time you are tempted to be discouraged, call this to mind.  Ask yourself those very questions, and join me on my knees in worship.  He is so faithful!

"The LORD is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him." Psalm 28:7

"Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed."  Romans 10:11

1 comment:

  1. Amen! We love the lyrics to the little song! Thank you for this call to stand in faith.

    ReplyDelete