Do Not Attempt This At Home?


It stopped me in my tracks.  Surely this couldn’t be for real.  But there it was, right there on the shelf, no figment of my imagination.

What was the puzzle?  Well, I had been walking that curiously crooked way that I usually walk when I’m in the library, in a forward direction, generally, but with my head turned left and tipped over on its side so I can read the book titles as I walk.  But this one was so big I’d have had no problem reading it standing right side up.  At nearly two inches thick, it had a title that arrested me; it was of the irony of it.  This massive book was titled An Introduction to the Gospel of John.

You can’t be serious, I silently remarked to the author, who, of course, couldn’t hear me.  An introduction?  Okay, just how many pages are there in this book?  I hoisted it off the shelf because I just had to know.  There were over three hundred.

It’s no wonder so many people don’t read the Bible.  It’s no wonder they’re intimidated out of even cracking it open.  Someone’s writing books they’re supposed to read first that are bigger than the Bible itself.

In my Bible, the Gospel of John spans merely 29 pages.  You could read the whole Gospel of John ten times before you’d finish that Introduction book, and, with the Holy Spirit’s help, you’d have a better understanding of what the book’s all about than you would by the time you slogged through the Introduction.

The Bible is meant to be accessible, user friendly.  John actually limited the size of his book.  He ends the book by saying, “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books which were written.”  John 21:25

But what was included was enough.  John explains,
“Many other signs therefore Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not in this book; but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.”  John 20:30-31

If there were more that we absolutely had to have, God would have given it to us.

That’s not to say there isn’t a place for commentaries or study notes, but don’t be afraid to jump right in and start with God’s Word.  And don’t be afraid to turn your children loose on the raw Word of God either.

Your Bible carries no warning label, no “Special knowledge required; do not attempt to read this at home!”  Yes, there’s mystery, but He means for us to know Him.  Yes, God’s ways are masterfully and intricately orchestrated, but His message is no less masterfully communicated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment