Me Memorize Scripture? Yeah, Right.


" . . . I labor,
striving according to His power [italics mine],
which mightily works within me."
Colossians 1:29

Recently, I was inspired by a young woman we know who has memorized large chunks of Scripture.  Since the days of my more youthful brain are gone, I just assumed that I wouldn’t be able to memorize very much and that it certainly wouldn’t be easy at any rate.  That might have turned out to be true if my human ability were actually the determining factor in the case, but thankfully, it's not.

He always supplies the power to accomplish His priorities.  And I John 5:14-15 tells us that, when we pray according to His will, He hears and we have the requests that we asked of Him.  

So honestly, since when do our deficiencies inhibit His might? Aren’t we the ones who limit ourselves, while He has power of the same magnitude He used to raise Christ from the dead? Paul prayed that the eyes of his Ephesian friends' hearts would be enlightened so they would know "what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe"  (See Ephesians 1:18-21)   I think we are in need of the same enlightening.

" . . . not that we are adequate in ourselves
to consider anything as coming from ourselves,
but our adequacy is from God. . ." 
II Corinthians 3:5

So He helped me memorize the book of Colossians, and I originally wasn't going to tell anyone besides my family because I was afraid someone would think I was calling attention to myself.  But then I realized that, had I not known about our friend memorizing lots of Scripture, I might not have been inspired to trust God to enable me to do it.  It’s really all about Him anyway.  He says we should hide His word in our hearts and meditate on His word; He hears and answers requests in line with His will; He promises His power for His priorities.  

It is with the hope that you, too, might be inspired to trust Him that I risk telling you what He did for me.  He is more than able to help you, too.

P.S.  It does help to set a deadline and have someone to be accountable to.  Who will you ask?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you've got me inspired to try for more than my 6 verses in Joshua! I can't wait to hear Colossians! Yes, you are so right that we tend to limit what God can do through us. We forget who He is and His mighty power! Thanks for the reminder and for the inspiration to keep committing more Scripture to memory!

    ReplyDelete